A friend said something really profound the other day that stuck with me...
"...how my child behaves does not define me."
Ethan and I were at a play group, which let's be honest is for the kids but is REALLY for the mommies :) We were discussing behavior and those embarrassing moments when our children have an all lights out...freak-out moment. My friend was giving an example of her child having a meltdown and after she told the story she said, "It has taken me years to realize that how my child behaves does not define me."
I chewed on that for a second because that is exactly what I have done and do. I can become easily humiliated if Ethan screams in the middle of the grocery store, squeals in the middle of church or relentlessly cries during a long car ride. I feel an overwhelming need to apologize to others for his behavior. I even think, "Do people think I'm a bad mom?"
Here was the conclusion that was drawn. We raise our children with morals, standards and good values. We try to teach them good from bad, right from wrong and how to think for themselves. We can teach and teach and teach but ultimately our children will make their own decisions. We cannot control the outcome of all situations nor can we forecast their reactions. The choices our children make or how our children act do not define us as people or parents. We cannot be consumed with what others think but rather take those moments of "disaster" and try to teach them, again:)
I know it's SO much easier to write that down. I'm working on it myself...daily.
No comments:
Post a Comment