I have always been a big fan of politics and I attribute this to my parents. As a child I remember sitting in the living room watching debates, political news coverage and the exit polls. It was always so exhilarating. Granted, as a child I had no clue what was going on. I just remember overhearing my dad's political jargon and it sure did stick. It's funny how you pick up on things when you are so young.
We have had the privilege of growing up in a politically-excited America! I mean, the 2000 election with the "hanging chads," the 2004 election with Obama and McCain and last night's election with Obama and Romney! Talk about a nail biter. Matt and I lit a fire, grabbed a beer, put on our comfy new slippers and turned on Fox. Yes, Fox. I switched back and forth to CNN but in all honesty, Fox was the first to announce Ohio and was the easiest news coverage to follow.
I won't get into my political views on here but I will say this. While my candidate did not win, I do believe that we (as Christians/followers of Christ) need to be careful. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't have an opinion or voice a our views. It DOES mean that we should honor our leaders, even bad leaders, even if we deeply and vehemently disagree with their views. In 1st Peter 2:13, 14 and 17 it says, "Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be the emperor as supreme, or the governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and praise those who do good. Honor everyone. Love the Brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the Emperor." I will be honest. This is not the easiest thing to do. This is something that I struggle with. In fact, this verse irritated me when I first came upon it.
So if we put this into practice, what would it look like? I believe this is conveyed in I Timothy 2:1-2, "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings be made on behalf of all men, for Kings and all who are in authority, in order that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity." We absolutely need to be in prayer for our leaders. Again, this is something I probably do not do often enough.
Always remember that God is sovereign. All things happen either because God caused it or consciously allowed it to. God is on His throne and ultimately governing over everything. Everything. Let us not forget that. Psalms 103:19, "The Lord has established his throne in the heavens; and his sovereignty rules over all."
God bless the United States of America.
No comments:
Post a Comment